The Cook Islands are a group of 15 islands in the Pacific Ocean. The main industries are tourism and offshore services. One of which, is the registry of ships and yachts.
The registry benefits from a network of offices in strategically locations around the world.
Key benefits of Cook Islands yacht registration
- Open registry for yachts & superyachts
- Low annual charges
- No Cook Islands taxes
- Network of offices
- Network of authorised surveyors
- Free instant name registration
- Fast registration process
- No company formation requirement
- No nationality restrictions
The requirements for the provisional application to register a private vessel in the Cook Islands are as follows;
- Completed Application Form
- Company Certificate or Cook Islands Ship Owners Association/Cook Islands Yacht Squadron membership confirmation
- Carving and Markings Note (inc. current photo of vessel)
- Pre-Registration Inspection
- Proof of deletion from previous flag (if charter registration)
- Proof of suspension from previous flag (if charter registration)
- Completed copies of all previous closed CR
- Copy of P&I policy evidencing financial security for MLC regulation
Once approved and the registration fee received, a Provisional Certificate of Registry is issued.
This certificate is effective from the date of issue and valid for a period of 3 months. During this time the requirements for permanent registration are to be completed.
Requirements for permanent registration
- Original Application Form
- Deletion Certificate from yacht’s previous Registry
- Confirmation from Radio Accounting Authority agreeing to act as Accounting Authority while vessel is under Cook Islands Flag
- Schedule of shareholders (if applicable)
- Power of Attorney/ ID documents of Directors and/or Company Secretary (as applicable)
- CEPIRB hexadecimal & serial numbers for all vessels on international voyage and proof of registration of the EPIRB
- Carvings and Markings Note with photographs of the vessel
- Current photo of vessel
The vessel can be registered for a period of either 1, 3, or 5 years. The registration fees need to be paid in advance.
The owner of a yacht registered in the Cook Islands has the option of selecting from the following Ports of Registry:
Cook Islands Yacht Squadron – Cook Islands
Cook Islands Yacht Squadron – Avatiu
Cook Islands Yacht SquadronI – Arutanga
If you are interested in purchasing a yacht or a new registration, please don´t hesitate to contact us for a no-obligation consultation.