News, Property

Buying in Spain: 12 reasons to appoint a solicitor

Buying in Spain: 12 reasons to appoint a solicitor

GB Abogados benefit from a busy conveyancing department.

Our bi-lingual solicitors assist clients of many nationalities with their property purchase in Spain.

Over the years we have assisted clients in many different circumstances.

We have encountered clients who originally bought a property in Spain without using a solicitor and later face problems.

Many estate agents will tell you that you don´t need a solicitor, as they have a “legal department”.

The vast majority have nothing of the sort.

There is also the question of conflict of interest.

It is likely that you would not purchase a property in your own country without using a solicitor, let alone another country where the language and laws may be unfamiliar.

Here are 12 reasons to appoint a solicitor to handle the conveyancing on your property purchase in Spain:

  • To provide you with impartial advice
  • To thoroughly check the legality of the property
  • To verify the existence of any debts registered against the property
  • To ensure a formal purchase agreement is drafted to protect your interests
  • To communicate with the vendor´s solicitor & agent so you don´t have to
  • To obtain NIE certificates on your behalf
  • To open a bank account and set up the contracts for utilities
  • Receive help with applying for a mortgage in Spain
  • Have a Power of Attorney drafted so you don´t have to make unnecessary trips to Spain prior to completion
  • To benefit from a solicitor to attend the notary on completion day
  • To ensure correct payment of all relevant taxes & removal of any debts
  • To finalise registration of the property in your name at the Spanish Land Registry

If you are thinking of buying a property in Spain, please don´t hesitate to contact us to discuss your circumstances.

GB Abogados cover the whole of Spain; mainland and the islands.

Our clients also benefit from our accounts and insurance department.

We can assist you with your annual non resident tax returns and various insurance products.

If you would like to rent out your property, we can provide advice regarding landlord tourism licences for holiday lets or draft a tenancy agreement for longer term lettings.

Related Posts